Hello and a warm welcome to the Midlife Hours!
I’m Glynis, a midlife introvert and creative writer, passionate about personal and spiritual growth that fosters meaningful living.
Rite of Passage
My transition to midlife started five years ago when the first signs of the empty nest beckoned. The simple, yet impactful insights that flowed from my journey inspired this blog. Exploring the five midlife guideposts felt like a rite of passage to midlife.
The Gifts of Midlife
Midlife offers several fresh opportunities to reboot your life and start fresh in this brand-new life season. Some of these include:
- A chance to break old toxic patterns,
- Explore how you’ve evolved and grown,
- A chance to pursue new dreams.
- Newfound freedom to finally be comfortable with your imperfect self,
- A chance to grow and enjoy healthier relationships with people who can hold space for you to be your truest self.
- It ushers in quieter times to cultivate inner peace, and deeper personal insight so you can step fully into everything you were innately created to be and do in this world.
Three Requirements for the Midlife Journey
Each guidepost offered something unique to equip a sensitive introvert like me to embrace the unexpected possibilities this new life stage offers. The journey required three things from me:
- An openness to explore my life – the good, the bad, and the ugly;
- A willingness to gently turn inward to unravel the stories that shape us; and
- Taking one brave first step outside my comfort zone.
Becoming Your Truest Self
In her book, Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way, Shauna Niequist writes “there is a season for wildness and a season for settledness, and this is neither. This season is about becoming.“
My midlife transition was a season of realigning and shifting back in place everything I’d lost along the way. It was a voyage of becoming that would eventually lead me home to my truest self. I continue the midlife journey now with a renewed sense of self and the tools to craft a life of deeper meaning and purpose. You can read my full story here.
While no two journeys are the same, I hope that sharing my insights gained from the midlife journey sparks curiosity and openness in other midlifers to explore the unexpected gifts this life season offers to fully embrace our MIDLIFE HOURS.